Hypertextual Happenstance

This blog has been created to reflect upon learning to write and research this electronic medium. These posts use Jay David Bolter's _Writing Space_ as my theoretical guide to describe how I've learned to understand hypertext as the dynamic interconnection of a set of symbolic elements.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

The Nuts and Bolt(er)s of Blogging

As quoted in Bolter’s Writing Space,
[H]ypermedia authoring can support the emancipation of one’s self and others through the authoring and publication of critical texts that by questioning representations of the self, explain the possibilities for the self in future actions as a member of a community (114).
Indeed, blogging and, more specifically, linking, has emancipated me as this metablog has attempted to recount for you. However, as
Madeline Sorapure asked her students when assigning them Flash projects to “experience the principle of variability,” when writing this blog I had to ask myself, "How did you know when you were done?" Well I had a list of key points about my linking literacy that I knew I wanted to address, yet because of the myriad amount of the links I have included to tell that story, I had to remind myself that “The reader may well become the author’s adversary, seeking to make the text over in a direction that the author did not anticipate” (Bolter 168). Thus, before I send you off on an adventure of hypertextual happenstance, I will conclude here by summing up where I am now as a blogger and where I want to go.

Having moved from Blogger to Blog-City to Writingblog, I have to say that
my third space is where I have found the ideal blend of personal and professional voice. Initially I moved [go here for my first post] for the sole readership of my professor, mentor and bossman, Joe Moxley. Writingblog.org is his pet project, which began in December 2003 and now hosts over 2,800 bloggers, so knowing that he would be reading my posts and following my links gave me the structure that I needed to focus my research interests and streamline my blog’s template. The categories I can create here to list links have helped me organize who and what I read, and the image galleries are an added plus because there is no download required for what other blog spaces call “Premium Features.” A spin-off of Writingblog.org is Researchblogs.org, which describes itself as a site “Established for graduate students, faculty, and librarians involved in the electronic thesis or dissertation process, Researchblogs.org provides a free writing space for the development of ideas and research, linking all in an international dialogue” is a place I might eventually go, but for the time being I am staying put. So much is archived here already and quite frankly, I’m not one who likes moving in any way, shape, or form!

Moreover, I’m learning more and more how I feel about collaboration and perhaps this blog is the best example of my independence as a writer and selfish appreciation for having this space or these multiple spaces as my own. Russell’s essay on Activity Theory has stated, “Writing is an immensely protean tool that activity systems are always and everywhere changing to meet their needs” (56), and each blog I have started has cultivated my writing and using hypertext in different ways. As I mentioned in the first post to this blog, blogging now consumes my academic work and by reading and linking to other
professors who blog has taught me more about the genre than you’ll ever know.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dr. DazEE

    O.k. I will tell you what is fascinating to me about reading blogs...this idea of link in the blog is interesting because it is a key element in the concept of hypertext, all the way back to the early turtles, like Ted Nelson, George Landow, Jay David Bolter (you cite him). This interconnectedness, as well as the gap in time/space embodied in the process of linking, is a key element of the idea of digital text. The concept of hypertext is (at least in part) based on this process of linking, and exploring this concept has helped us to re-think other practices (the cross-fade in film or the index of a print book) to see the many ways that linearity can be broken in the reading/writing process.

    On the other hand, the processes of linking (of knowing and being known) in a blog space are very different from the processes of doing so in a listserv or MOO space or whatever...the boundaries (both digital/physical and rhetorical) are different. As a result, I would suppose, the kind of "community" or sense of connectedness that comes from blogging is different from the kind that comes from interacting in other types of web spaces (a listserv, a wiki, etc.). I wonder what you feel these conditions are and how they shape what you read, what you produce, and how you see yourself in relation to other bloggers you interact with (especially those that comment on your blog entries)? What is the nature of the linking process in a blog space? With whom are you linked? For what ultimate purpose?

    Just as a point of (hopefully) interest, I'll note two things that occurred to me as a have begun reading blogs (really all due to you and William) this semester. The blog is not like a "stand-alone" hypertext, and it's not like a listserv...It's not really exactly like anything digital I've previously experienced. And for me, this difference is explicit in two areas --

    1. the idea of the visual (the space of the visual and its power in digital texts) seems left out (in many ways) of the blogosphere. I am most used to seeking out experimental sites that use multi-modal tools to create content, so just sitting and reading unornamented text feels a bit strange to me...and makes me wonder what blogs contribute to the discussion of visual design and composition choices in digitial space.

    2. Secondly, I find that I am slightly bemused by the incredibly personal nature (not offended at all, just a bit bemused) of many of the blog posts I've read by linking from your blog. I mean, do I really want to spend a hour or more of my day reading what people think about the way that academics dress? Well, maybe, actually, but I don't really have that luxury on most days. On the one hand, I LOVE the irreverent and highly skilled style of blogger like Bitch, Ph.D., (and I know she often tackles what I think are important issues) but on the other hand I find myself wondering how these texts actually work as documents within the field of academia...Don't get me wrong, I'm not making any kind of stance on "is this stuff worthwhile" or anything like that -- (create a picture of me searching for the right phrase here) -- I'm just wondering what the nature of this new communication tool is -- what kind of knowledge is being created here? How do people use it? Is is personal? social? -- is it possibly a kind of epideictic prose? (by which I mean a communication that has as its goal a kind of "coming together") Or is is more subtly argumentative than it looks on the surface. How much of it is self-identity-creation, and how much is seeking to impact the minds of others?

    You're the expert, so feel free to ponder this and get back to me...

    Joyce

     

Post a Comment

<< Home